Sunday, July 31, 2011

Purple Hair

As promised, I tried to take pictures of the steps while dying my dark brown hair purple.

A little background - I have dyed my hair shades of red for a long time and purple has been my favorite color for longer. I realized that the darker red shades (purple-toned instead of orangey-toned) complimented my skin tone. So I decided to go all the way and make my hair a pretty purple color.

Pre-wedding, I didn't want to mess around with bleach. I had bought Splat in Lusty Lavender and used the purple on my dark brown hair. It didn't show up much, especially indoors. So now, post-wedding, I was ready to play with the bleach.

The Splat kit includes bleaching products, so I still had that since I previously only used the color. I also bought a darker shade of purple color because I figured it would suit me better (and I liked the color more). Punky Colour in plum (the purple shade is too pink-toned for me)

Before:




I used the splat bleach for the longest recommended time (afraid to do it any longer for fear of damaging my hair). Parts of my hair were bleached very light, but most of it turned a brown-redish shade. Still, it was lighter than my natural hair, so I figured it would still show the purple color better than not bleaching.

After Bleach:





After Purple:





(I will try to get better pictures of the finished result. My camera essentially died so I only have my cell phone camera.)

If I do this again, I might get my hair professionally bleached to get it light enough without worrying that I might screw up. Also, of a salon has a permanent purple color, I might prefer that to this wash-out variety which is making a bit of a mess on my towels and pillow.

I do still have more of the splat lusty lavender color and plan to use that to touch-up the color when this has faded from washing out.

I do like being a purple-head. :)

2 comments:

  1. it looks great!!
    the dark purple looks fabulous.. it's like sort of playing around with the lighting kinda look.. like it looks black, but when u turn to an angle, then u can see the purple shade..
    love the effect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing the color on top of my un-bleached hair did something similar. At least with the bleaching attempt, it is a bit more noticeable indoors and really noticeable in the sun. I still feel it is a bit 'safe' and I was expecting something more extreme, but I am still liking the results so far - it's more like a gradual change that probably suits my skintone a bit more than full-out purple.

    ReplyDelete